Switch geometry

• Hello,

I would like if someone can explain to me how to make a switch have the tips and the frog in places chosen by me, there must be a mathematical formula to describe the geometry used, rather than trial and error.
    Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes

Soxtrova

• Hi,
    Normaly you don't need a mathematical formula to make an switch , you just need to know the place where you want to make the switch and the target of the switch (for example rail one, in the range of Km [Mile] from 0815 to 0816 (target rail) Rail two ) if you have two rails that you want to connect with your switch
    if this won't work you can also edit an short rail (as shortest as it can be) betwen the two rails and then edit two switches at the beginning and the end of the short rail from and to the rail you want to connect .

or you want to make an switch as start for an new rail (if this is your choice) go on like this :
    choose [new rail] in the editor and then must be there an choice field (sry i missed this word ;) ) which in standart configuration will stand "normal rail" or something like that (i have the german version .. so i don't know the exact dictionary of the english version) and there you can choose other starting options of your rail like parallel rail or start with an switch .
    thats it
    i hope that this will help you .. wish you all times green lights
    and a happy new year btw

LdL

• Hi LdL,
    Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid that I dint make myself clear. I already know what you answered.
    I intend to ask the following, if I want to place a turnouts that have the point's (tips of turnouts blade's) in the position "x" and the frog in the position "y" (so they be placed like the real one), how do I get the values to enter in the "Line beginning with a turnout" or "Turnout" properties since the "Position" value in the "Line beginning with a turnout" or "Turnout" properties is the value of interception of the two lines if they the closure rail where straight and different from either "x" or "y".
    I hope this time I have make my self clear.
    Thanks in advance.

Best Wishes

Soxtrova

• Hi

A draft of your disired construction or a picture of a real switch pointed out your problem would be helpful.

Wat is a "frog" in railway-language?

In case you would like to define the position of the blades of the switch in the editor: this is not possible. This must be done in the KBS-file (railway-guide?, I ignore the english word for KBS in Loksim)

Toni

PS: frog = Herzstück, inzwischen hab ichs gefunden!

In Loksim its only possible to define switches entering startpoint (position in meters on track where the switch starts), angle (in degree) and endpoint (defining exact position on other track or let calculate Loksim). There are different aproches possible depending on witch type of switch choosen. I know no other possibility to construct a switch in Loksim.
    Position of blades see above.
    If your problem is different of all this let us know (best with draft).

• Soxtrova fragt, wie er die Eigenschaften einer Weiche einstellen muss, damit sich Herzstück und Zungenspitze an vorgegebenen/für ihn wählbaren Positionen befinden.

@Soxtrova:
    There has to be some formula, the one that is used by Loksim to calculate the graphics output for the switch, but I think only one of the developers who knows the source code is able to answer your question. If none will answer this thread, maybe you can try contacting one by e-mail.

I wonder what you want to do, is it for ultimate realism, or for easier track building with subsequent switches? Perhaps there's a workaround for the original problem.

Maybe this helps:

[li]if you use the switch type "Zu genauer Position" ("to exact position"), the position entered seems to be midway between frog and tips[/li]
      [li]the higher the angle, the shorter the distance between frog and tips[/li]

Regards
    Oxymoron

edit: typo

• Dear toso and Oxymoron,

Thank you for your answers, but I'm afraid that I still dint make myself clear.
    At this point I do not have time to respond to you, but I will answer soon.

Yours sincerely
    Soxtrova